You can read the Borderlandbeat.com report on the Cadereyta massacre by click here
By Chris Covert
A unit with the Mexican 7th Military Zone detained eight unidentified individuals they said were Gulf Cartel operatives and who may be involved in the murder of at least 49 people in Cadereyta municipality in Nuevo Leon state, according to web reports.
The detentions took place following a raid in China municipality, where solders also seized four rifles, one handgun three hand grenades, 34 weapons magazines, 881 rounds of ammunition, one kilogram of powder cocaine, tactical and communications gear and two vehicles.
This writer reported late Sunday that a possible connection existed between the Jalisco massacre where a total of 18 individuals were kidnapped, tortured to death and butchered in a purported Mothers Day massacre. Those dead were found May 9th, the day before the traditional Mexican Mothers Day.
You can read the Borderlandbeat.com report on the Jalisco massacre by clicking here
News reports at the time said a number of unidentified kidnap victims of the same Los Zetas/Milenio group escaped a safe house. Anonymous reports said that the plan was for a spectacular Mothers Day massacre using innocents kidnapped at random. This writer speculated that those escapees may have sprung the plan for a larger massacre,and possibly led to the Cadereyta massacre the following Sunday.
Nuevo Leon attorney general Adrian de la Garza said that some of the victims were from southern areas of Mexico. A Secretaria Seguridad Publica spokesman reportedly said that many of the victims were killed two days before their discovery. The report posted on Borderlandbeat.com and Rantburg.com attempted to link the two mass murders from the same criminal group, Los Zetas.
You can read the BorderlandBeat.com report on the possible link between Los Zetas criminal group and the Cadereyta massacre by clicking here
However, early Tuesday morning several narcopintas or painted messages appeared in Zacatecas state and later in Nuevo Leon which disclaimed Los Zetas responsibility for the butchery at Caderayta, hinting that Gulf Cartel members had committed the much larger Cadereyta massacre.
You can read the BorderlandBeat.com report on Los Zetas narcopintas disclaiming responsibility for the Cadereyta massacre by clicking here
Since March, the Los Zetas and Gulf Cartels have been engaged in a bloody game of oneupmanship as the Gulf and Sinaloa cartel alliance vowed to remove Los Zetas from their home turf in Nuevo Laredo in Tamaulipas state. The Jalisco state murders, similar to the Cadereyta murders, were meant to send a message to the Gulf/Sinaloa alliance, and similarly, innocents such as migrants had been captured, tortured and and then butchered in those grisly displays.
It is de riguer in the Mexican Drug War that narcopintas mean nothing, until they mean something, so the end result of the massacre and the actions taken by Mexican security forces are far from over.
The story of the 49 dead at Cadereyta is also far from over
Chris Covert write Mexican Drug War and national political news for Rantburg.com