Five individuals were shot to death and at least three more were wounded in a shooting at a dance in northern Monterrey, Nuevo Leon early Sunday morning, according to Mexican news accounts.
The shooting took place at around 0030 hrs at El Dorado Saloon near the intersection of avenidas Camino Real and Primero de Mayo in CROC colony, where several armed suspects entered the dance hall and started firing their weapons in the air demanding everyone get on the floor.
|El Dorado Saloon in Monterrey early Sunday|
Reports say a second group was waiting outside the hall to fire on anyone attempting to leave the establishment, and did wound an undisclosed number ofvictims. Four died inside the hall, including the owner of the establishment, Jesus Martinez Martinez, 35. A third victim was identified as Alberto Zamora Bernal, 28. A fifth victim, Iris Yajaira Roca Guardiola, 19, died while receiving medical attention.
Police detectives think the shooting was actually a failed attempt to abduct Martinez, Martinez.
After the shooting the armed suspects fled the scene aboard several Chevrolet Suburban SUVs.
Amongst the wounded was the singer of the music group Los Reyes Vallenatos, Javier Lopez, who was playing the venue.
About 50 9mm, AR-15 and AK-47 spent shell casings were found at the scene.
Elsewhere in Monterrey and in Nuevo Leon state, 10 other individuals were murdered or were found murdered in ongoing drug and gang violence.
- In Juarez municipality two unidentified men were found tortured and shot to death on the slopes of Cerro de Silla. The men were found in La Trinidad colony and were in a state of decomposition. The victims were killed at the scene.
- One unidentified individual was killed by Mexican security forces in Mina municipality Saturday. The incident took place presumably on Mexican Federal Highway 53, which runs between Monterrey city and Monclova, Coahuila, at about the 54 kilometer marker.
- A second victim was killed by Nuevo Leon state police agents on the same road at about the 90 kilometer marker.
- Two unidentified men were found dead near Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon late Friday night. The victims were found on the Libremento Linares at about the 6 kilometer marker. The victims had been handcuffed and gagged with tape.
- A man was shot to death in Apodaca, Nuevo Leon Saturday evening. The victim was identified as Jose Juan, 39. He was shot by armed suspects at a residence near the intersection of calles Acatlan and Tala in Noria Norte colony at about 1830 hrs. The shooters fled the scene aboard a Volkswagen Jetta sedan and a Jeep Cherokee SUV.
- An unidentified woman was found shot to death in Monterrey Saturday night. The victim was found in the road near the intersection of calles Manuel Doblado and Ruperto Martinez in an eastern sector of the city.
- An unidentified armed suspect was killed by soldiers with a Mexican Army unit in Cadereyta-Jimenez late Saturday night. The unit intercepted a vehicle near the intersection of Calle Puerto San Agustin and Carretera Cadereyta-Allende in the Bella Vista colony, then attempted to signal the driver to stop, when occupants opened fire. Army return fire killed one. Reports are unclear what was the fate of the other occupants in the vehicle. Army units do not release information, except to respond to specific press inquiries owning to restrictions placed on federal and some state governments not to release information during federal elections.
- A 13 year old boy was found shot to death in Monterrey early Saturday morning. Gerardo who Rusbel Martinez Arellano was found near the intersection of avenidas Paseo del Acueducto and Alfombrilla in the Laderas del Mirador colony. Reports say the victim has been kidnapped five days before he was found. Several 9mm spent shell casings were found at the scene.