by Chivis Martinez for Borderland Beat
Juarez is no longer world king of homicides as it drops to second spot, so says a Mexican study group called the Citizens Council for Public Safety and Criminal Justice. The findings were released this week that reveals Juarez has lost its number one spot after three years, replaced by San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
Homicides rates are predicated by homicides per 100,000 residents. 40 of the 50 most violent cities in the world are in Latin America according to the study.
It is no surprise to learn that Mexico holds 5 of the top 10 spots or 12 in the top 50. What is slightly surprising is that 45 of the 50 top spots are in the Americas and of those 40 in Latin America.
Of the 50:
Mexico tallies at 12, Brazil 14, Colombia 5.
As for the U.S., the most dangerous US city “honors” goes to New Orleans and the city comes in 21st in the world with a murder rate of 58. Detroit ranked 30th with 48, St. Louis 43rd with 35 and Baltimore sliding into the 48th spot with 31 murders per capita.
The most dangerous city in the world outside of the Americas is Cape Town, South Africa, which had a reported murder rate lower than Detroit and New Orleans, the report found. New Orleans and Detroit are ranked 21st and 30th on the list, respectively.
Mosul in Iraq was the most violent city of those surveyed in the Middle East, with a murder rate of 35 per 100,000 people.
WARNING: Video contains graphic material
1. San Pedro Sula, Honduras
KILLINGS: 1,143 | POPULATION: 719,447 | RATE: 158.87
2. Juarez, MexicoKILLINGS: 1,974 | POPULATION: 1,335,900 | RATE: 147.77
3. Maceió, BrazilKILLINGS: 1,564 | POPULATION: 1,156,278 | RATE: 135.26
4. Acapulco, MexicoKILLINGS: 1,029 | POPULATION: 804,412 | RATE: 127.92
5. Central District, HondurasKILLINGS: 1,123 | POPULATION: 1,126,534 | RATE: 99.69
6. Caracas, VenezuelaKILLINGS: 3,164 | POPULATION: 3,205,463 | RATE: 98.71
7. Torreón, Mexico (metropolitan area)KILLINGS: 990 | POPULATION: 1,128.152 | RATE: 87.75
8. Chihuahua, MexicoKILLINGS: 690 | POPULATION: 831,693 | RATE: 82.96
9. Durango, Mexico
KILLINGS: 474 | POPULATION: 593,389 | RATE: 79.5510. Belém, Brazil
KILLINGS: 1,639 | POPULATION: 2,100,319 | RATE: 78.04