Wednesday, April 20, 2011
31 Zetas arrested in probe of mass graves in San Fernando, Mexican authorities say
BY: Brownsville Herald
Mexican authorities announced the capture 31 Zetas and two “Zetitas” through separate operations by the Mexican navy and the Mexican army in connection with the investigation into the mass graves in San Fernando, Tamps. The two “Zetitas” — teens under 18 — were released to their relatives.
The arrests are part of the ongoing investigation into the finding of 145 bodies in 28 mass graves in the rural areas of San Fernando, which is about 80 miles south of Brownsville.
On Monday, soldiers with the 8th military zone located and arrested nine Zetas in Ciudad Victoria. Among the arrested was Sergio Armando “Comandante Checo” Alvarado Maldonado, who is named as the leader of a team of gunmen stationed in Ciudad Victoria. Felipe Morales Santiago and Oscar Osiel Juarez Zamarripa were identified as members of Comandante Checo’s strike team.
During that same arrest, the Mexican army caught Armando “El Payaso” Rivera, who was identified as the personal bodyguard of Martin Omar “Comandante Kilo” Estrada de la Mora, who was arrested last week. At the time of the arrest, authorities seized three assault rifles, ammunition and one SUV.
On Friday the Mexican Navy arrested 22 more Zetas and the two “Zetitas,” according to information released Tuesday by Mexico’s Attorney General’s Office — known as PGR.
The 22 Zetas were arraigned on charges of murder, engaging in organized criminal activity, kidnapping and possession of restricted firearms, the PGR said.
The group which was led by Esvin Leonel “El Gato” Batres Hernandez was identified and arrested by the Mexican Navy on Friday. The location of the arrest was not released. Authorities did seize a number of firearms and 14 SUV’s.
A Mexican federal judge ordered that the group caught by the Mexican Navy be held without bond for 40 days while the case is further reviewed.
With the most recent batch of arrest, Mexican authorities have arrested 76 Zetas and two Zetitas of which 55 have been arraigned.
THE 31 ARRESTS
Arrested by Mexican Army
1. Sergio Armando “Comandante Checo” Alvarado Maldonado
2. Luis Arturo “El Pollo”, Reyes Martinez
3. Armando “El Payaso” Rivera.
4. Felipe Morales Santiago
5. Oscar Osiel Juarez Zamarripa
6. Mayra Esther Ramos Cortés
7. Ana Janete Reyes Martinez who was identified as the sister or “El Pollo”
8. Adriana Chavez Salazar
9. Elena Enriquez Escandón
Arrested by Mexican Navy
1. Adriana Guadalupe Medina Galván
2. Armando Rodríguez de la Cruz
3. Esvin Leonel Batres Hernández (a) “El Gato”
4. José Luis Alonso Mireles o José Luis Alonzo Mireles
5. José Armando Palacios Vega
6. María de los Ángeles Ponce Razo
7. Miguel Ángel Trinidad Puente
8. Christian Misael Dávila Molina
9. Alicia Tapia Corral
10. Juana Flores Mendoza o María Luisa Flores Mendoza
11. César Coronado Delgado
12. José Manuel Hernández Guerrero
13. Álvaro Alba Terrazas
14. Joel Hernández Aguirre
15. Jairo Emmanuel Cabriales Campos
16. Julio Luna Rivera
17. Gerardo de la Cruz Rodríguez
18. Jobana Susano Cruz o Jovana Susana Cruz
19. Juan Antonio Tavares Arteaga
20. Óscar Julián Cruz Ramírez
21. Gerardo Fabián Gámez Cabriales
22. Miguel Adrián Pérez Olguín y/o Miguel Ángel Pérez Olguín