On August 6, 2012, banners were placed in Reynosa to honor the birthday of Samuel "Metro 3" Flores Borrego, who was killed on September 2, 2011. Also known as "M3", he was the leader of the Los Metros faction of the Gulf Cartel. The text of the banner, in somewhat rambling language, listed his virtues as a friend and leader, as well as the lessons he taught his "school". At the bottom of the banner was a list of twenty-two aliases, the signers of the message, who apparently are members of the aforementioned "school" of "El Metro 3".
A few weeks ago, my esteemed colleague on the forum, El Plata, made reference to the banner, which would lead to a conversation pointing out that so many of the old members of Los Metros were no longer around. Taking inspiration from that conversation, I decided to take a closer look at the individuals listed on the banner and see what their statuses are two years later. Please keep in mind this information is not definitive, but, rather, to the best of my knowledge.
- Metro 4- Héctor Delgado Santiago, killed January 15, 2013 by fellow cartel members.
- Gringo- Miguel Villarreal, killed March 10, 2013 by fellow cartel members.
- Puma- Jesús García Román, killed March 10, 2013 by fellow cartel members.
- Mellado- Galindo Mellado Cruz , killed May 9, 2014 in a shootout with government forces.
- Flander- Raúl Hernández Barrón, killed July 26, 2014 in a shootout with government forces.
- Rayo- rumored to have been killed around March 10, 2013.
- Salinas- Joaquin Rafael Salinas Aparicio, also known as Metro 32, rumored to have been killed August 11, 2014 in a shootout with government forces.
- Sierra- Juan Gabriel Montes Sermeño, arrested September 12, 2012.
- Mario Pelón- Mario Armando Ramírez Treviño, arrested August 17, 2013.
- Juan Perro Jr.- Juan Manuel Rodríguez García, arrested May 25, 2014.
- Chucho- Jesús Romo López, also known as El Doctor, said to be head of finances.
- Hamburguesa- José Antonio Romo López, reported as Ciudad Mier plaza head.
- Negrito- Eduardo Ismael Flores Borrego, reported as Valle Hermoso plaza head.
- Panochitas- Juan Francisco Saenz Tamez, also known as Metro 103 and Panochas, said to be Camargo plaza head.
- Polimenos- José Ismael Mendoza Falcón, also known as Metro 60, "dominates Frontera Chica".
- Simple- Jesús Alejandro Leal Flores, also known as Metro 24, said to be a Reynosa sector leader.
- Tachas- Guadalupe Leal Flores, also known as Metro 17 and Lupito, said to be a Reynosa sector leader.
- Chava 88- Gomez, also known as Metro 88 and Dientes de Cabra.
- Metro 7- Alfonso Flores Borrego, according to Grayson.
- Negro Jose