Chivís Martínez for Borderland Beat
Proceso magazine, broke the story of the hunger strike, stating that it was El Chapo who was the author of the grievance hunger strike which was joined by 1000 inmates over a five day period.
Rigid rules are implemented at the Altiplano No.1 super max prison. Strict regulations, mindful construction and offensive measures, assure the prison maintains its stratus of being the sole prison in Mexico that has not been confronted with a successful escape. Many of the most notorious of prisoners are housed in Altiplano.
Visitors including attorneys, are not allowed to enter with wallets, shoelaces, pens, even tie clips. Complaints include; inspections by guards inside underwear, and women must remove their bras.
As in American super max prisons, for exercise inmates are allowed only one hour daily outside their cells, but are in a fenced inclosed area, they are not privy to the general prison population..
Proceso had reported that the 1000 inmate hunger strike was to protest against prison’s poor hygiene, medical care and food, and the assertion that Chapo had organized the strike, a remarkable feat under the isolated conditions he is subjected to.
NYT wrties: Not just that the world’s most fearsome drug lord was now apparently a human rights crusader but that he had the freedom of movement and communication inside the prison to pull it off".
Prison officials confirmed the July strike occurred, but states that Barbie and Chapo did not organize the strike, adding their isolation makes it a virtual impossibility for them to do so.
The hunger strike had 100 people involved, and lasted only 1 day.
Some of the notorious bigs that are or have been incarcerated in Altiplano are:
- Joaquin Guzman Loera, alias "El Chapo Guzman", former leader of the Sinaloa Cartel .
- Mario Aburto Martinez confessed Alleged murderer of Luis Donaldo Colosio
- Daniel Arizmendi López Known as the Mochaorejas former head of a Mexican kidnapping gang.
- Eduardo and Francisco Arellano Félix family members Arellano Felix, leader of Tijuana Cartel
- Mario Villanueva Madrid Ex-Governor of the State of Quintana Roo
- Osiel Cardenas Guillen Ex-leader of the Gulf Cartel
- Teodoro Garcia Simental Alias El Teo known as who fractured the cartel of the Arellano
- Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo Alias The Godfather , former leader of the defunct Guadalajara Cartel
- Edgar Valdez Villarreal alias La Barbie Sicario and head of the armed wing of the Beltran Leyva Cartel
- Miguel Treviño Morales Alias The Z-40 premier leader of Los Zetas
- Jesus Zambada Garcia-Known as "the king Zambada". He is the brother of Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada
- Oscar Oswaldo García Montoya alias “El Compayito” leader of the criminal organization “La Mano con Ojos
- José Jorge Balderas Garza, alias "El JJ", suspected of the attempted murder footballer Salvador Cabañas
- Luis Fernando Sánchez Arellano alias "El Ingeniero", leader of Tijuana's CAF criminal organization