By Chris Covert
A total of 17 individuals were murdered in ongoing drug and gang related violence in and around Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, according to several news items posted on the website of Milenio news daily.
- Three young men were shot and wounded at a soccer field in Monterrey Tuesday evening. The shooting took place near the intersection of calles Pino and Cedro where armed suspects travelling aboard a Jeep Cherokee SUV fired on the victims and seven others. The wounded were identified as Adam Ramirez Mendoza, 15, Victor Garcia Maldonado, 18 and Miguel Garcia Moreno, 21.
- Three young men were shot to death Monday evening in Guadalupe municipality. The victims were drinking beer at a residence near the intersection of Avenida Guadalupe Avenue and Calle Luis M. Farias in Provivienda La Esperanza colony. According to the news item, armed suspects travelling aboard a taxi stopped and fired on the victims, presumably using assault rifles. The victims were identified as Brayan Andrés Reyes García, 18, Gabriel Esteban Salazar, 23 and Diego Alejandro Dimas Rincón.
- Two men were found shot to death in Montemorelos municipality Wednesday evening. The victims were aboard a Jeep Liberty SUV when they were found just off the National Highway at Kilometer 193. A third unidentified female victim was also apparently wounded in the incident, but had fled the scene, later receiving medical attention. The victims were identified as Carlos Fabian de la Cruz Vazquez, 28, and Jorge Luis Morales Manrique, 38. Morales Manrique was formerly a police chief in Galeana municipality.
- An unidentified man was found mutilated in Pesquería municipality Wednesday morning. The victim was found near the intersection of calles Miguel Alemán and Francisco Javier Mina in Zacatequitas colony, which is between Apodaca and Pesquería municipal limits.
- One unidentified man was found shot to death and another wounded in Apodaca municipality Wednesday morning. The two victims had been reported kidnapped Tuesday night. The victim was found on Calle Rio Santiago in Pueblo Nuevo colony. The deceased was identified as Carlos Humberto Gonzalez Carranza, 21, while the other victim was identified as Eleazar Aguilar Vazquez, 29.
- Three 18 year old men were kidnapped and then shot to death in Santa Catarina municipality Wednesday. The victims were kidnapped by four armed suspects travelling aboard a sedan near the intersection of Calle Solidaridad and a private road in Las Palmas colony. Assault rifles were used in the shootings.
- Two unidentified men were found murdered in a van in Juarez municipality Tuesday night. The victims were aboard a Ford Aerostar minivan parked near the Apodaca-Juarez highway. Both victims had been tortured and shot to death. A message was left at the scene but its contents were not disclosed.
- The warden for the Topo Chico Centro de Readaptacion Social (CERESO) was shot to death in Monterrey Wednesday. The victim was identified as Melani Azeneth Castro Barbosa, who was shot at her home on Avendia Joaquin A. Mora in Felipe Carrillo colony. Reports say two unidentified men shot the victim.
- Four unidentified individuals including one female were shot to death in Monterrey Wednesday afternoon. The victims were near the intersection of Avenida Rodrigo Gomez and Calle Rio Danubio in Alfonso Reyes colony when armed suspects shot them. The area is a known drug retail sale point in Monterrey.