By Chris Covert
A total of five unidentified individuals were found in a grave in a remote area of Coahuila state and five others were killed or were found dead over the weekend in the La Laguna region of Coahuila state, according to Mexican news and Twitter accounts.
A Mexican Army unit was dispatched Saturday to a canyon in La Roja de la sierra de Arteaga, where the unit found a grave containing the remains of five individuals. The victims has been tortured and were shot at the site. Several spent shell casings were found at the scene. News reports say the victims had been dead for two years.
Arteaga municipality is adjacent to Saltillo, the capital of Coahuila. According to reports the location about 15 kilometers by dirt road, presumably to the east of the Monclova-Monterrey highway or Mexico Federal Highway 57. It is unclear the circumstances which sent the army unit to the location to find the grave.
According to a posting at Nota Roja Koneocho blog, a total of five individuals were shot to death or were found dead, and five others were wounded in the La Laguna region of Mexico
- Two men were shot to death and three others were wounded at an office near the intersection of calzada Abastos and Independencia. Only one of the victims, Houston Andres Lopez, 22, was identified.
- At Plaza Cuatro Caminos, a man identified by a relative as Antonio Avalos de la Paz, 30, was found shot to death.
- Two individuals,identified as Esteban Velazquez Perales and Jessica Guerrero Galvan were shot and wounded near the intersection of calles Sarabia and Revolucion.
- Two taxi drivers were shot and wounded near the intersection of calzada Lazaro Cardenas and Rodriguez Triana.
- Enedino Goday Flores, 23, was found shot to death in La Laguna colony.
- An unidentified man in his 30s was found shot to death near the intersection of calles Campo and Nuevo Zaragoza.
- Near Diagonal Reforma an unidentified man was shot and wounded in an armed mugging outside a grocery store.
Chris Covert writes Mexican Drug War and national political news for Rantburg.com