Monday, August 29, 2011
Five 'Zetas' arrested for deadly Monterrey casino attack
by Action 4 News Staff
Mexican authorities have arrested five alleged members of the Zetas drug cartel for their role in a deadly attack on a Monterrey casino.
Some 52 patrons of the Casino Royale were killed when gunmen stormed the building and used gasoline to light on fire on Thursday.
Nuevo Leon Governor Rodrigo Medina held a press conference early Monday morning to say five men have been arrested.
The El Universal newspaper reported the men were identified as:
• Luis Carlos Carrasco Espinosa, El Chihua, 25 years old, Chihuahua
• Javier Alonso Martínez Morales, El Javo, 37 years old, Monterrey
• Jonathan Jair Reina Gutiérrez, 18 years old, Monterrey
• Juan Ángel Leal Flores, 20 years old, Monterrey,
• Julio Tadeo Barrones Ramírez, El Julio Rayas, 28 years old, Monterrey
Gov. Medina told reporters that the men had lengthy criminal histories and are members of the Zetas drug cartel.
El Universal reported that one of the men was identified through fingerprints from a vehicle seized at the crime scene.
That man’s arrest led to the arrest of the other four.
Gov. Medina told reporters that the Zetas had been extorting money from the owners of the casino.
Dozens dead in Monterrey terrorist attack
Security video released in Monterrey casino attack