By Chris Covert
Since August 10th Mexican Army and naval personnel have seized 31 kilograms of cocaine, 4,119 kilograms of marijuana, 5.1 kilograms of marijuana seeds, .89 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine and MX $52,700.00 (USD $3,995.94) in cash, according to official information.
- A unit with the Mexican 12th Military Zone encountered and killed five armed suspects in San Luis Potosi state August 12th. The unit was on patrol in Cedral municipality along Mexican Federal Highway 57 when it came under small arms fire. Army return fire killed the five armed suspects. Three rifles, 22 weapons magazines, 550 rounds of ammunition and one vehicle were seized.
- On August 10th an army unit with the Mexican 13th Military Zone in Nayarit state detained two suspects and seized a quantity of drugs, including quantities of crystal methamphetamine and cocaine. One vehicle was seized. The arrests took place near the intersection of calles Plutarco Elias and Emilio M. Gonzalez in Santa Teresita municipality.
- A Mexican Army unit with the 26th Military Zone encountered an unknown number of armed suspects in Veracruz state killing four August 12th. The unit was on patrol in Cordoba municipality when it came under small arms fire. Army return fire ended the encounter with the four dead. Also seized were four rifles and undisclosed quantities of ammunition and weapons magazines.
- An army unit with the 13th Military Zone seized marijuana seeds in Jala municipality August 11th in Nayarit state. Soldiers located an abandoned van with 5.1 kilograms of marijuana seeds, two weapons magazines and two rounds of ammunition.
- On August 13th in Ruiz municipality in Nayarit state, a Mexican Army unit with the 13th Military Zone located a vehicle, one handgun, one weapons magazine, two rounds of ammunition and a quantity of marijuana.
- An army unit with the Mexican 8th Military Zone detained two unidentified individuals and seized a large quantity of marijuana in Tamaulipas August 13th. The soldiers found a tractor trailer rig carrying fruits and vegetables, as well as 2,044.6 kilograms of marijuana wrapped in 75 packages. The stop took place in Reynosa municipality along the Reynosa-Monterrey highway at around 2330 hrs.
- A Mexican Amy unit with the 45th Military Zone destroyed five plots used to grow marijuana in Sonora state August 13th. The plots were located in Cucurpe municipality where soldiers found plots of land totalling 160 square meters with marijuana plants and another 16.6 square meter plot with marijuana seedling. All plants were destroyed at the site.
- An unidentified female kidnapping victim was rescued by Mexican Army personnel with the 7th Military Zone in Nuevo Leon state August 15th. The unit was on patrol when it attempted to stop a suspicious vehicle travelling in Bosques de la Huasteca colony in Santa Catarina municipality. A pursuit ensued and ended about four kilometers away where one unidentified armed suspect was killed, one was detained and a third had escaped. Soldiers located a female victim at a building and also seized four rifles, 30 weapons magazines, 815 rounds of ammunition, four vehicles, one motorcycle, tactical gear, eight head of livestock and the property.
- An army unit with the 29th Military Zone seized a quantity of cocaine in Veracruz state August 16th. The seizure took place incident to a traffic stop in Tropico de la Rivera colony in Coatzacoalcos municipality where soldiers found 31 kilograms of cocaine and a vehicle. Two unidentified suspects were also detained.
- An army unit with the Mexican 13th Military Zone located and dismantled a laboratory used to manufacture synthetic drugs in Mayarit state August 18th. The unit was on patrol near the village of La Noriega in Compostela municipality when it located the lab. Among items seized were 12 200 liter drums containing an undisclosed liquid substance, 13 bags of an undisclosed chemical, four plastic containers, six metal containers, 11 gallon containers with an undisclosed liquid substance, four washers and seven metal tubes.
- Mexican Army units with the 2nd Military Zone seized 1,209 kilograms of marijuana in 110 packages in the village of Loma Linda in Ensendada municipality in Baja California state August 18th.
- Army units with the Mexican 2nd Military Zone detained one unidentified suspect at a traffic stop in Villas del Real colony in La Presa delegation in Tijuana municipality August 18th in Baja California state. Soldiers seized 85.3 kilograms of marijuana, one handgun, one weapons magazine and one vehicle.
- In San Jose colony of Mexicali municipality in Baja California state, an army unit with the 2nd Military Zone seized .89 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine.
- Soldiers with the Mexican 2nd Military Zone destroyed 21 marijuana plants in Ensenada municipality in Baja California state, seven near Ejido Leyes de Reforma and 18 near Ensenada proper.
- Army units with the Mexican 19th Military Zone rescued six kidnapping victims in Veracruz state in two separate incidents August 19th. The operations took place in Ciudad Cuauhtemoc and Panuco where soldiers also detained seven unidentified suspects and seized five rifles, two handguns, 582 rounds ammunition, 21 weapons magazines, one inert hand grenade and four vehicles.
- A Mexican Army unit with the 5th Military Zone encountered several armed suspects in Chihuahua state killing one August 22nd. The incident took place in Ojinaga municipality where soldiers came under small arms fire. Army return fire killed one and forced the detention of six other armed suspects. Soldiers also seized one handgun, two weapons magazines, 40 rounds of ammunition, three vehicles; two of them stolen, personal quantities of cocaine, radio equipment, and 10 phones.
- An army unit with the 9th Military Zone detained one unidentified individual and seized quantities of munitions and drugs in Sinaloa state August 21st. The detetion took place near the village of San Pedro Rosales in Navolato municipality. Seized contraband included five rifles, two grenades, 29 weapons magazines, 782 rounds of ammunition, personal quantities of cocaine and marijuana, four vehicles, one motorcycle, three kevlar helmets and radio equipment
- Two suspects were detained by Mexican naval infantry personnel in Veracruz state August 8th and 10th. Isaias Flores Penda AKA El Cronos was detained August 8th at a traffic stop. Acting on information provided by the suspect, a marine unit located and detained Juan Carlos Hernandez Pulido AKA Bertha two days later at the Centro de Integracion Familiar in Veracruz state. Mexican Navy official information has that Hernandez Pulido was operations chief for Jalisco Nueva Generación drug cartel in Veracruz state. Seized contraband in the August 10th operation included two hand grenades, 68 bags of cocaine presumably divided for retail sale, 62 bags of crack cocaine, 52 bags of marijuana and communications gear.
- A Mexican naval infantry unit detained one individual and seized quantities of drugs and guns inn Coahuila state August 15th. Esteban Cardenas Vaselis AKA Leon was detained by Mexican marines in Saltillo, Coahuila along with Ever Didier Candelario Ramíerez. Naval official information has it that Cardenas Vaselis was a southeastern Mexico regional leader for Los Zetas criminal group. Contraband seized included MX $52,700.00 (USD $3,995.94), two rifles, one handgun, three fragmentation grenades, eight weapons magazines, 239 rounds of ammunition, 200 packages of marijuana and two radios.
- A Mexican naval infantry unit seized a large quantity of marijuana at a traffic stop in Michoacan sate August 15th. The traffic stop took place in the village of Vazquez Pallares in Coalcomán municipality where a Mexican marine patrol ordered the driver of a box van to stop. Inside marines found 777.1 kilograms of marijuana in 176 packages. The driver identified as Angel Yoair Rodriguez Anaya, 22, was detained at the scene.
- Mexican Naval infantry personnel detained four individuals and seized quantities of drugs and guns in Nuevo Leon state August 20th. One of the detainees was identified as turf leader for the Gulf Cartel in General bravo municipality, Lauro Tijerina Murrieta AKA El M-33 in a presumed traffic stop. Lauro Tijerina García AKA El Laurito, Abel Guerra Hernández AKA El Flaco and Jhosep Solís González AKA Jhosep were also detained. Contraband seized included one vehicle, one rifle, three handguns, 16 weapons magazines, three hand grenades, nine radios, 15 handsets, personal quantities of cocaine, 350 rounds of ammunition and one military-style uniform.