By Chris Covert
Eight unidentified individuals were shot to death in two separate events in Guadalupe, Nuevo Leon Tuesday, according to Mexican news accounts.
Five of the victims were taxi drivers killed in a a single shooting near the intersection of Avenida Eloy Cavazos and Calle Pajaros Azules in Cuenca Verde colony with one unidentified individual wounded.
Subsequently, it is reported the shooters then went to another area and killed three more, wounding two others. At least one of the victims was a child of nine. That shooting took place near the intersection of avendias Eloy Cavazos and San Roque in Lomas de San Roque colony.
The area of the first attack is near Cerro de la Silla, which is a hillock used by drug gang lookouts to report movement of security forces in Monterrey city. It is unclear in concurrent reports or in previous reports which drug gang made use of the area.
News reports say the shootings were against a rival gang's lookouts.
Three other individuals were killed in several incidents in and around Monterrey city Monday and Tuesday.
- An unidentified man was detained in Escobedo, Nuevo Leon following a pursuit by Apodaca municipal police agents. The man was aboard a Ford sedan on the road leading to Santa Rosa, when he was signalled by police to stop. Instead the detainee initiated a pursuit which ended in Escobedo. One hand gun was seized at the conclusion of the chase.
- An unidentified man in his 20s was found decapitated in Linares, Nuevo Leon Tuesday. The victim was wrapped in a blanket, which had an undisclosed message, and left near the intersection of calles Morones Prieto and Diaz Miron in San Francisco colony.
- Two unidentified Agencia Estatal de Investigaciones (AEI) agents exchanged gunfire with two car thieves as the officers were taking lunch at a fast food restaurant in Leones colony in Monterrey Tuesday. One suspect was wounded in the gunfight which began as the thieves attempted to steal a truck. It is unclear if either of the two car thieves were detained following the gunfight.
- An unidentified man was found shot to death late Tuesday morning in Juarez, Nuevo Leon. The victim was found near the intersection of calles Capitolio and Monte Palatin in Campestre Monte Bello colony. The victim was apparently shot elsewhere then dumped.
- A taxi cab driver was found shot to death in San Pedro Garza Garcia Monday evening. Rodolfo Davila de la Rosa, 39, was found near the intersection of calles Enrique Herrera and Tamaulipas in Canteras colony, shot numerous times with an AR-15 assault rifle. The victim had been kidnapped Sunday night in Altamira colony in south Monterrey. Eight spent .223 caliber shell casings were found at the scene.
- Two unidentified armed suspects were detained following a pursuit and shootout in south Monterrey. A patrol of Fuerza Civil attempted to make a traffic stop on Avenida Lazaro Cardenas of two individuals travelling aboard a Honda Civic sedan, which had been reported as stolen. Instead the driver attempted to escape the stop. The driver crashed the vehicle into two other parked vehicles on calle Cerro de la Silla where the chase ended. One unidentified police agents was hit by gunfire incident. One of the detainees was an escaped inmate from the Apodaca Centro de Readaptacion Social (CERESO) prison.
Chris Covert writes Mexican Dug War and national political news for Rantburg.com