The true purpose of the Mexican government's "senseless war" on drug cartels is to get people to accept "everyday horror" as something that "cannot be changed," the erstwhile guerrilla known as Subcomandante Marcos said Tuesday.
"No solution to the disaster of the National State is possible without changing the system responsible for the ruin and for the nightmare that inhabits the entire country," the spokesman for the Zapatista National Liberation Army, or EZLN, said in a letter to news outlets.
Though it still calls itself an army, the EZLN has not engaged in military operations since its initial January 1994 uprising in the southern state of Chiapas.
It is not the first time that Marcos, a former professor, has criticized the war on organized crime launched by Mexican President Felipe Calderon within days of taking office in December 2006.
While violence associated with that conflict has claimed 35,000 lives, Marcos says Mexico's chattering classes seem more interested in the 2012 presidential campaign than in the destruction of the country's social fabric.
The Zapatista spokesman also blasted purveyors of "junk theories" that see recent popular uprisings in the Middle East as "products of cell phones and (Internet) social networks, and not of organization, capacity for mobilization and power to bring people out."
Those theories, he said, express not just "crass ignorance" but "the unconfessed desire to achieve, without effort, their place in 'history'."
"'Tweet and you will win heaven' is their modern creed," Marcos said, going on to criticize those who believe that "liberty, justice and democracy can be had merely by marking a ballot."
"When these people pontificate that there is only one choice, the electoral route or the armed route, they ... demonstrate their lack of imagination and of knowledge of national and world history," Marcos said.
Turning back to the drug war, Marcos cited the "pain and rage" of prominent poet and journalist Javier Sicilia, whose son was found murdered last month along with six other young men in what appeared to be a gangland incident.
Sicilia, who last week brought tens of thousands of Mexicans into the streets to lead marches for peace, is mounting a sit-in in the main square of Cuernavaca - where his son was slain - to demand justice.
Authorities in the surrounding state of Morelos say they have identified the killers of Juan Francisco Sicilia and the other six victims, but no arrests have been made.
To read La Jornada link: Reconoce 'subcomandante Marcos' lucha de Javier Sicilia (Spanish), please enter here.
To read Subcomandante Marco's most recent letter to Luis Villoro,(Spanish) please enter here.