On Monday, January 19, a shootout occurred in southern Piedras Negras, Coahuila, between
It began at 6:20 PM on the López Portillo beltway (which doubles as Highway 2 to Nuevo Laredo), in the Luis Donaldo Colosio colonia, when members of the GATE, conducting a routine patrol, observed two suspicious vehicles (a maroon Ford Explorer with a Coahuila license plate and green Kia Spectra with a Texas license plate) and attempted to pull them over.
Instead of stopping, they turned off of the beltway and soon the shootout began on Diana Laura Riojas street. A red alert was called and forces from Sedena, PGR, Piedras Municipal Police, Nava Municipal Police, Federal Police, and Marina arrived to reinforce the GATE patrol.
A member of the GATE was injured in the shootout and a 67 year old woman was caught in the
Officials confiscated the two vehicles, as well as two AK-47s, an AR-15, two pistols, and quantities of white powder, apparently cocaine, and a substance described as white in rock form, which I assume is crack cocaine.
Those killed in the shootout were later identified by family members as:
- Humberto Bernardo Lira Aranda, 26 years old, with residence on José María Bocanegra street of the Presidentes Tres colonia.
- José Guadalupe Meza Gaona, 25 years old, with residence on Bosque Guillén street of the La Constancia colonia.
- José Roberto Becerril Salazar, 21 years old, with residence on Mar Mediterráneo street of the Villas del Carmen colonia. His father claims that he was not a criminal and worked as an air conditioner repairman.
- Julio César Monrreal Martínez, 22 years old, with residence on Manuel Pérez Treviño street of the Presidentes Cuatro colonia.
- Julio Valle, 33 years old, with residence in the city of Sabinas, Coahuila.
Abaten Gates a 5 hombres armados
5 Civiles Muertos; Un Elemento del GATE y una Mujer Heridos en Balacera en Piedras Negras
Abate GATE a 5 presuntos delincuentes en Piedras Negras
Identifican a abatidos durante enfrentamiento en Piedras Negras